Nitrogen generators for the wine industry: Enhancing quality and efficiency
In the world of winemaking, the pursuit of excellence and the preservation of quality are paramount. Therefore, winemakers are turning to a game-changing solution to enhance their craft: nitrogen gas. From preventing oxidation to controlling carbonation, nitrogen plays a vital role throughout the winemaking process.
How nitrogen is used through the process
Nitrogen is employed at various stages of the wine making process:
- Blanketing Tanks and Barrels: Nitrogen is used to create a protective blanket over the wine in tanks and barrels, displacing oxygen and minimizing the risk of oxidation.
- Purging and Sparging: Nitrogen is used to purge and sparge tanks and equipment, removing unwanted gases and contaminants that could affect wine quality.
- Bottling and Packaging: Nitrogen is utilized to displace oxygen in bottles before corking or capping, ensuring the preservation of wine quality during storage and transportation.
Benefits of using nitrogen in the wine making process
Using nitrogen gas in the wine making process offers several advantages:
- Oxidation Prevention: Nitrogen, being an inert gas, safeguards against oxidation, which can compromise the wine's taste, aroma, and overall quality. By displacing oxygen with nitrogen, winemakers create an optimal environment for wine maturation and preservation.
- Carbonation Control: Precise control over carbonation levels empowers winemakers to consistently achieve the desired effervescence in sparkling wines. This control ensures that each bottle of sparkling wine delivers a consistent and delightful experience to consumers.
- Wine Preservation: The replacement of oxygen with nitrogen in wine tanks, barrels, and bottles provides an effective barrier against oxidative reactions that can lead to wine deterioration. By extending the shelf life and maintaining quality over time, winemakers can ensure that their wines reach consumers in optimal condition, offering a delightful and satisfying tasting experience.
Benefits of on-site nitrogen generation
On-site nitrogen generation offers several advantages over traditional bulk deliveries:
- Cost Savings: Wineries can achieve significant cost savings by generating their own nitrogen rather than relying on expensive purchased gas, by eliminating rental charges, transport expenses, and evaporation losses.
- Supply Reliability: On-site generation ensures a continuous supply of nitrogen whenever needed, avoiding delays and interruptions caused by waiting for external deliveries.
- Flexibility and Adaptability: Winemakers can adjust nitrogen flow rates and concentrations on-demand to meet specific requirements for different stages of the wine making process.
- Environmental Sustainability: With third-party nitrogen tanks, unused nitrogen is usually ‘blown off’ to prevent the risk of explosions. This results in gas wastage. With on-site gas generation, nitrogen is produced only as required. Furthermore, on-site generation reduces the carbon footprint associated with transporting nitrogen cylinders or tanks.
- Eliminate safety hazards: Nitrogen generators offer a safer alternative compared to high-pressure cylinders, which pose occupational risks and require stringent protocols.
A tailored solution
Our advanced nitrogen generators provide winemakers with a reliable, cost-effective, and sustainable solution for on-site nitrogen production. Whether you operate a small boutique winery or a large-scale production facility, our range of PSA and membrane generators, along with high-pressure nitrogen skids, offers a tailored solution to meet your specific nitrogen requirements.